The primary responsibility is to deliver product support for the Virtual Instruments VirtualWisdom product line and actively manage all associated technical activities for our enterprise customers and partners.
Technical Support Engineer
Virtual Instruments delivers the industry’s only analytics platform for Infrastructure Performance Management. The VirtualWisdom® and WorkloadWisdom® platforms provide unparalleled, real-time visibility into the performance, health, and utilization of the IT infrastructure – empowering customers to guarantee the performance and availability of their mission critical applications across physical, virtual, and cloud computing environments.
We seek to hire an exceptional intermediate level Technical Support Engineer to join our Global support team. Are you ready to take your passions to the next, unprecedented level, to change an industry and contribute to the community around you? We are looking for talented contributors who are ready to actualize their passions, contribute to a successful team, and to affect some of the largest networks in the world
The primary responsibility is to deliver product support for the Virtual Instruments VirtualWisdom product line and actively manage all associated technical activities for our enterprise customers and partners. This position will involve very minimal travel. Most of the work with customers is completed on-line and by phone. The candidate must be an expert in technical support, a quick learner, and enthusiastic individual with the ability to thrive in a fast-moving environment. This position will be remote based with the flexibility of telecommuting from a home-based office with infrequent travel to headquarters in California.
This position reports to the Director of Technical Support and is a remote position based in Germany.
After approximately 3 to 4 months of training during normal German hours; this position will shift to starting at 11 am or noon German time to join others to cover later European activities and the US Eastern time zone.
- Provide technical support to VI customers, partners, and field engineering staff by phone, webinar, and email
- Provide input to the Virtual Instruments product team on product performance and suggestions on the product and process improvements/extensions.
- Work closely with development engineering on escalated cases as an advocate of the customer
- Replicate reported problems on support test system(s) and escalate identified problems to engineering for further investigation and resolution
- Provide suggestions and enhancement requests to Product Management Team members.
- Ensure client expectations are properly managed, and that technical issues and needs are resolved to the client's satisfaction in a timely manner.
- Support customers through installation/upgrade, configuration, use, and troubleshooting of VI products, including software and hardware products
- Managesupport cases using the Virtual Instruments CRM
- Provide clear, concise, and timely communication regardingsupport case status to all involved parties (customer, partner, sales account team, and management)
- Contribute to the development and improvement ofsupport processes in a dynamic environment
- Approachsupport with a customer-centric viewpoint, used to effectively prioritize and escalate issues
- Exercise independent judgment to determine the methods and procedures for new assignments
- Communicate progress and escalate issues to management in a timely manner
- Develop technical materials and solutions for the knowledgebase and customer specific documentation
- Assist in the testing and release processes of new product releases
- Be on 24x7 support on‐call rotation with other support personnel
Required Experience and Skills
- A self-starter capable of fast learning and delivering results without much supervision
- Hands-on experience with Linux (Suse/Red Hat) and Windows operating systems
- Solid understanding of network and storage protocols (FC, FCoE, TCP/IP, SCSI, NFS, iSCSI, CIFS/SMB), their advantages and disadvantages
- Working knowledge in LAN/WAN, Fibre Channel and Data Centers infrastructures for configuration and troubleshooting
- Knowledge and understanding of the major performance characteristics (Latency, Throughput, IOPs) and performance benchmarking
- Background in any SQL flavor
- Understanding of storage and Data Center architecture, operations, deployment and optimization (clustering, tiering, replication, fault tolerance, deduplication, compression)
- Knowledge of virtualized infrastructure technologies such as Hyper-V, VMWare, PowerVM, SVC, VPlex, and Vmax
- Knowledge of Cloud environments and technologies, such as AWS and Azure
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, including excellent presentation skills
- Required to pass a non-adverse background check
- The ability to distinguish colors to use a multi-color interface
Desired Experience and Skills
- Working knowledge of a scripting language (Bash, Python, and Perl)
- Ability to setup and configure network storage from one or more vendors
- Cisco / Brocade Fibre Channel switch administration experience and/or certification
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor of Sciences Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Systems or related discipline of engineering; or equivalent related industry experience
- Intermediate level technical experience (5+ years), with Customer Support or Professional Services experience supporting Fortune 1000 level customers (2‐3+ years)
Apply for Technical Support Engineer
Have a account? Sign in now and we'll pre-fill this application for you.